Company name: City of Fort Collins
Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA
Salary: withheld by employer
Strategy & Planning
• Assess and cultivate long-term strategic goals for data warehousing in conjunction with data users, analysts, department managers, clients, and other key stakeholders.
• Coordinate and work with other technical staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
• Plan and implement capacity and resource expansion to ensure data warehouse scalability.
• Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective availability, protection, and integrity of data assets.
Acquisition & Deployment
• Use existing knowledge and conduct research to make recommendations on data warehouse products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
• Evaluate, recommend, and collaboratively select data warehouse components, including hardware, database management systems, ETL (extract, transform, load) software, data mining tools, meta data management tools and business intelligence solutions.
• Work with data analysts within the Utilities’ organization to gather requirements for a data warehouse, data cube, or similar solution.
• Work with end users and analysts to identify, create, and deliver data structures according to requirements.
• Develop efficient and accurate ETL methods for efficiently loading the data warehouse, data mart, or other data store.
• Create models for new data warehouse development and/or changes to existing data stores.
• Work with analysts to create robust metadata describing the contents of the data warehouse.
• Work with analysts at the Utilities to determine needed frequency of updating the data in the data warehouse/data mart/cube or other consolidated data store.
• Design and manage data warehouse improvement and growth projects.
• Identify inefficiencies and gaps in current data warehouse solutions and leverage solutions.
• Identify data discrepancies and data quality issues and ensure data consistency and integrity.
• Diagnose and resolve data warehouse access and performance issues.
• Install and configure relevant components to ensure data warehouse access.
• Execute data warehouse configuration and performance tuning.
• Monitor system details within the data warehouse, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements.
• Ability to learn operational business process quickly.
• Perform cost estimates for data migration between development, test, and production systems, and from source systems. Plan and coordinate these migrations.
• Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to data systems.
• Mentor and/or provide leadership to junior members of the team and other stakeholders.
Formal Education & Certification
• College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science, information systems, or computer engineering and/or 8 years of equivalent direct work experience in data warehousing, information engineering, and executive dashboarding.
• Certifications in database technologies a plus.
• Project Management Professional preferred
Knowledge & Experience
• Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting multi-terabyte data warehouses.
• Significant experience with database platforms, including Oracle, SQL Server, and multi-dimensional data models.
• Strong understanding of denormalization of data as it applies to data warehousing.
• Strong understanding of star schema and dimensional tables.
• Strong understanding of relational database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
• Hands-on experience with information engineering, data architecting, data mining, large-scale data modeling, and business requirements gathering/analysis.
• Ability to quickly understand in-house data-intensive applications.
• In-depth technical knowledge of computing environments including servers, and client computing systems.
• Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards, including best coding practices, ETL best practices, cyber security, and advances in current data warehousing tools.
• Must have strong demonstrated project management skills that include collaboration and change management abilities.
• Experience with process flow charting using tools such as Visio.
• Proven project management experience
• Strong ability to quickly understand the organization’s goals and objectives.
• Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
• Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent technical architecture and technical support documentation skills.
• Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work cross-organizationally to understand/document needs of entire organization.
• Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products as required.
• Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, highly collaborative environment.